The UNT Police Department is committed to providing assistance to victims of crime.  If at any time you have any questions regarding victim information or services, please contact one of the victim assistance liaisons below.

Denton County Criminal District Attorney
Victim Assistance Division

If you have additional information or questions regarding your case, contact the Criminal Investigations Division at (940) 565-3006. For emergencies, dial 911.

If you are intimidated by the suspect or the suspect's family or friends, please call the local law enforcement agency immediately.

  • Denton County Friends of the Family provides compassionate, comprehensive services to those impacted by rape, sexual abuse, or domestic violence, while partnering with their community to promote safety, hope, healing, justice, and prevention.
  • UNT Survivor Advocate provides support to students who have been impacted by sexual or relational violence, trauma, harassment, or stalking, connect them to resources (counseling, health, safety, academics, legal, etc.), and advocate on their behalf. The Survivor Advocate can assist with filing protective orders, completing crime victim’s compensation applications, contacting professors for absences related to an assault or other incident, working with housing to facilitate a room change (if needed), and connecting students to the many other resources that are available, both on and off-campus.
  • Denton County Social Service Agencies provide services intended to promote the health and well-being of individuals.
Crime Victim Notification
Criminal Justice Process
Crime Victim Rights
Crime Victim Compensation
Family Violence
  • It is a crime for any person to cause you any physical injury or harm, EVEN IF THAT PERSON IS A MEMBER OR FORMER MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY OUR HOUSEHOLD. Please tell the investigating peace officer if you, your child, or any other household resident has been injured or you feel you are going to be in danger when the officer leaves or later. You have the right to ask the local prosecutor to file a criminal complaint against the person committing family violence.
Protective Orders
  • You have the right to apply to a court for an order to protect you (you should consult a legal aid office, a prosecuting attorney, or a private attorney). If a family or household member assault you and is arrested, you may request that a magistrate’s order for emergency protection be issued. Please inform the investigating officer if you want an order for emergency protection. You do not need to be present when the order is issued. You cannot be charged a fee by a court in connection with the filing, serving, or entering a protective order. For example, the court can enter an order that the abuser not commit further acts of violence; the abuser not threaten, harass, or contact you at home; directs the abuser to leave your household; and establishes temporary custody of the children and directs the abuser not to interfere with the children or any property. A violation of certain provisions of court-ordered protection may be a felony.
Sexual Assault and Sexual Violence
Title IX
  • Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX), and its implementing regulations, 34 C.F.R. Part 106 require each institution of higher education receiving financial aid to designate a Title IX Coordinator. UNT has designated the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) as the Title IX Coordinator. Part of the Title IX Coordinator’s responsibilities is to investigate acts of sexual harassment and sexual violence. This investigation is separate from any criminal investigation.