Crime Victim Information

The UNT Police Department is committed to providing assistance to victims of crime.  If at any time you have any questions regarding victim information or services, please contact one of the victim assistance liaisons below.

UNT Police Department
Cpt. Ramona Washington
1700 Wilshire Street
Denton, TX 76201
(940) 369-7590

Denton County Criminal District Attorney
Victim Assistance Division
1450 East McKinney Street
Denton, TX 76209
(940) 349-2600
Denton County DA's Website 

If you have additional information or questions regarding your case, contact the Criminal Investigations Division at (940) 565-3006. For emergencies, dial 911.

If you are intimidated by the suspect or the suspect’s family or friends, please call the local law enforcement agency immediately.


Click on the link below for information about the criminal justice process.

Criminal Process Flowcharts


The State of Texas intends that victims of crime receive safeguards, assurances, and considerations.  To view crime victims’ rights in Texas, click here.

Para español, haga clic aquí.


The Texas Constitution (Article I, Section 30) provides victims of violent crime with the right, upon their request, to receive notice about court proceedings and the conviction, sentence, imprisonment, and release of the accused.  For more information about victim notification, click here.

Para español, haga clic aquí.


In 1979, the Texas Legislature passed the Crime Victims’ Compensation Act, creating the Compensation to Victims of Crime Fund and the Crime Victims’ Compensation (CVC) Program.  For more information about crime victim compensation, click here

Para español, haga clic aquí.

The Crime Victims' Compensation Program will reimburse "reasonable costs" associated with forensic sexual assault examinations of victims of alleged sexual assaults.  For more information, click here.

Para español, haga clic aquí.


It is a crime for any person to cause you any physical injury or harm even if that person is a member or former member of your family or household.  Please tell the investigating peace officer if you, your child, or any other household resident has been injured or you feel you are going to be in danger when the officer leaves or later.  You have the right to ask the local prosecutor to file a criminal complaint against the person committing family violence.  For more information, click here.

Para español, haga clic aquí.


You also have the right to apply to a court for an order to protect you (you should consult a legal aid office, a prosecuting attorney, or a private attorney). If a family or household member assaults you and is arrested, you may request that a magistrate's order for emergency protection be issued.  Please inform the investigating officer if you want an order for emergency protection.  You need not be present when the order is issued.  You cannot be charged a fee by a court in connection with filing, serving, or entering a protective order.  For example, the court can enter an order that the abuser not commit further acts of violence; the abuser not threaten, harass, or contact you at home; directs the abuser to leave your household; and establishes temporary custody of the children and directs the abuser not to interfere with the children or any property.  A violation of certain provisions of court-ordered protection may be a felony.  For more information about protective orders, click here

Para español, haga clic aquí.


Denton County Friends of the Family is dedicated to providing compassionate, comprehensive services to those impacted by rape, sexual abuse, and domestic violence, while partnering with our community to promote safety, healing, and prevention.  For more information about emergency shelter or other services, click here


Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX), and its implementing regulations, 34 C.F.R. Part 106 require each institution of higher education receiving financial aid to designate a Title IX Coordinator.  UNT has designated the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) as the Title IX Coordinator.  Part of the Title IX Coordinator’s responsibilities is to investigate acts of sexual harassment and sexual violence.  This investigation is separate from any criminal investigation.  For more information about reporting sexual harassment or sexual violence, click here.


The Dean of Students Office at UNT is committed to your safety and success as a student and wants to assist you through this difficult time. We are here to help you. The Dean of Students Office can assist you by connecting you with Counseling, contacting your professors, assisting with housing, and getting you connected to the Conduct office should the other party be a student. We also have a number of other resources we can assist you with. For more information about assistance available through the Dean of Students Office, click here.


Click on the links below for information about available resources.